With three chapters published so far, the MT column goes into the nitty gritty of responsible supply chain management. Summaries of these articles can be found below. To read the full articles and to go deeper into what RSCM requires, whom it targets and how your peers are faring, please head over to www.impa.net/marine-trader, and subscribe. Alternatively, download our Marine Trader Journal mobile app today; look for 'MT Journal' in the App Store.
The first chapter, 'What is Responsible Supply Chain Management?', explains what RSCM is, goes into detail about the existing global authoritative standard, about the requirements needed to engage in it and emphasises that it is not a process focused only on ship-owners.
- RSCM increases the transparency of complex global supply chains.
- It is about minimising the adverse impacts of your company’s internal operations and supply chain.
- RSCM mitigates risks and effects positive social, economic and environmental change.
The second chapter, ''Why Engage in Responsible Supply Chain Management?", talks about the many benefits that engagement in the RSCM has, from improving collaboration with suppliers, minimising risks and reducing the risk of negative PR, to improving product quality and saving costs.
- RSCM improves your collaboration with your trusted suppliers.
- Not only does RSCM minimise business risks, but also satisfies customers’ expectations.
- RSCM can protect your brand by approaching risks at every level in the supply chain.
The third chapter, "How to Engage in Responsible Supply Chain Management?", delves into the IMPA ACT initiative and how it can assist ship-owners, ship-managers and marine suppliers in building sustainable business practices. It contrasts the usual way of engaging in RSCM with the IMPA ACT way and it explains what the initiative offers to those interested in getting involved.
- ‘Command-and-control’ approach to RSCM creates too many burdens.
- IMPA ACT is build around the partnership approach and is tailored to suit the maritime industry.
- IMPA ACT streamlines buyers' and suppliers' work in the RSCM arena.